Tuesday, week two: Lazy Day!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tom worked some, of course, I updated my blog and that's about it for "work". 

I haven't checked my email today but as of last night, I had 10 Cushing's bios to format and a couple helpful doctors to add.  There are also several unread PMs on the board to read and answer.  Maybe I'll get to those today.  Maybe not!

I finished up my second book, Silent in the Grave, by Deanna Raybourn and I've started Careless in Red by Elizabeth George.  Both these books are on my Kindle and bringing books this way has really saved me weight in my suitcase.  Usually I bring about 3-4 books.  This time, I just brought the first book I read (In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner by Elizabeth George) as a physical book and the rest electronically.

I usually find a book here in the library that I like and exchange the ones I brought from home.  Oftentimes I'll find a book here from the UK or elsewhere that I wouldn't see at home.  I got started reading the Anne Perry series of books about a Victorian policeman and his family (Thomas and Charlotte Pitt) because I started one here.  I found those fascinating and I've read all them to date.  I learned a lot about Victorian manners and habits through and you could see the changes in the police department  - the addition of phones, first just at the station, then in homes.  Then the debate about carrying guns.  The criminals had them, should we police carry them?  It was also interesting to see the differences in the classes.  Things that the upper class must, and not must not, do according to social dictations.

The Victorian mysteries are continuing after Silent in the Grave.  I'll definitely read more of this series.  Even though the characters are from a long time ago, they seem so real and their issues not much different from today.  The main character is someone I would definitely like and I love the writing style!

IMGP1005 Raybourn was a new author to me so I only invested in this one of her books but there will be more when I get home. 

Tiding me over for the moment is the Careless in Red.  This is only the third of George's books that I've read but I'm enjoying those, too.

So many books, so little time!  I'm glad yesterday was a do-nothing day.  I love sitting outside over the ocean and just quietly reading.  That's a vacation!

In the afternoon, Tom finished his work for the day and we went over to the actual Crane beach.  They have a glass elevator to the sea now and we took that down.  We actually put our toes in the Atlantic Ocean!  Then, we sat on beach chairs for a while and decided that maybe today we'll take bathing suits and go in. 

I don't remember when the last time was that I went into the ocean here.  When we go out on the catamarans, that's the Caribbean.  This side is the Atlantic.  Big difference in temperature and roughness of the water, especially with hurricanes out there somewhere.

And that was pretty much our day.  We called Michael at night to see how his first day on his new job went but, like his dad, he was still working when we called.  Workaholics!

This afternoon looks like more of the same with maybe that trip to the beach.  We haven't even been to any of the big pools yet, although we did walk around them one night.  But, there are 3 days left to do all this, right?

Tonight is the Bajan Roots and Rhythms show at the Plantation and I'll report on that tomorrow.  We've seen the show once before and it was pretty good - bears another look.

0 comments

Post a Comment